Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I really gotta stop reading stupid people.

There is this advice column thing on CNN that I read yesterday. Boyfriend Has Issues with my Weight. In the letter, the author states that she is a small/medium shirt size and a size 8 but her boyfriend told her that her weight was an issue. The comments blew me away. Far too many to be all trolling for attention - she shouldn't have let herself go like that, a size 8 is getting up there, if she's short that's pretty obese, he's only concerned about her health, if it bothers her she should do something about it. Look, I am short. I am 5'2" and when I was a size 8, I wasn't model thin but I was nowhere near obese. Some people tried to point that out, they were called liars. Our society has really devolved into believing that anything other than model thin, size zero is fat. It's kind of disgusting. It's one thing to teach people that fat isn't healthy but it's quite another when people believe that anything less than perfection is fat and therefore they have the right to call you names. We need some more education out there other than "fat is bad." We need to stop looking at BMI, which has no accounting for muscle mass, we need to help women and men understand that bodies come in all shapes and sizes and that for some people, no amount of weight loss will change a person's proportions. If you're pear shaped, you're pear shaped. You can be a smaller pear but you will still be a pear.

No comments:

Post a Comment